The House

Designed by Sir James Clerk, 3rd Baronet of Penicuik in collaboration with John Baxter the Elder, and built between 1761 and 1769, Penicuik House perfectly embodies the ideals of Palladian architecture in its simplicity and symmetry and is unquestionably one of the finest examples of this style in Britain today.

When the Barony of Penicuik was acquired by John Clerk in 1654, Newbiggin House was the family home on the Estate. John Clerk’s son – Sir John Clerk, 1st Baronet of Penicuik – initiated the agricultural improvement of the Estate by the enclosure of pastures and the planting of trees, and his son Sir John Clerk, 2nd Baronet was responsible for the creation of the Designed Landscape which survives, largely unchanged, today. Sir John, the 2nd Baronet, had considered extensively remodeling Newbiggin House but it was his son Sir James, 3rd Baronet who, in collaboration with John Baxter the Elder, demolished the existing house in 1761 and designed and built Penicuik House in its place, siting it in the heart of the magnificent Designed Landscape which had been created by his father in the early 1700s.

iconPenicuik House perfectly embodies the ideals of Palladian architecture in its simplicity and symmetry