Later additions

In 1857, Penicuik House was subject to an ‘extension’ – albeit on a grand scale.

Sir George, 6th Baronet, appointed David Bryce to design new wings at each end of the house to meet the demands of the fashionable Victorian house party. The building contract was awarded to Messrs Hall of Galasheils for the sum of £7,267 2s 0d – a substantial amount in those days.