The Trust

Following a devastating fire in 1899, the once magnificent Penicuik House was reduced to a roofless shell and remained in a state of ruin for over a century.

In 1985, in response to a threat of demolition, the Penicuik House Preservation Trust (PHPT) was founded with a stated remit to restore and protect Penicuik House and the built structures within the Penicuik Designed Landscape for the benefit of the public.

PHPT owns the parcel of land centered on Penicuik House, the focal point of the Penicuik Designed Landscape. The Trust is working with the Estate to repair and conserve the built structures within the Designed Landscape while the Estate is adopting a forestry management regime that, over a period of years, will reinstate the broadleaved woodlands to the design of Sir John Clerk, 2nd Baronet, who was instrumental in the creation of the Designed Landscape in the early part of the 18th century.